[ABOVE] Meet the service members on the 2018 U.S. Olympic Team
VA continues commemoration of the 50th anniversary of the Vietnam War
As a commemorative partner, VA joins nearly 10,000 organizations across the nation supporting the Department of Defense in this mission to honor and thank our Vietnam Veterans. The commemoration recognizes all men and women who served on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces during the United States’ involvement in Vietnam—November 1, 1955 – May 7, 1975.
Veterans Legacy Program: “Remembering Port Chicago”
A. D. Hamilton, Lawrence Matthews, James Bridges, and Leroy Hughes are the names of just four of the 320 sailors that died in the Port Chicago disaster. On July 17, 1944, a massive explosion occurred at the ammunition depot of Port Chicago. It was the worst home front disaster in World War II. Over 10,000 tons of explosives detonated, sinking two ships and killing over 300 sailors, most of whom were African-American.
VA’s new innovation podcast launches with powerful episode on suicide prevention
VA is excited to announce the inaugural episode of the VA Innovation Experience podcast! In this first episode, Andrea Ippolito, a founding member of the team that launched the highly successful VA Innovators Network, hosts a powerful episode about two of VA’s efforts to reduce and eliminate Veteran suicide – Secretary Shulkin’s top clinical priority.
New on VAntage Point:
- VA modernizing systems to improve the Veteran experience
- Program aims to help Veterans with diabetes fend off foot ulcers
- Veterans Legacy Program: A. D. Hamilton, a young sailor at Port Chicago
- VA study shows that close-range blast exposure affects cognitive functioning
- Air Force Veteran shares how vocational rehabilitation changed his life
- New blood culture ID system improves care for Veterans
- For a successful recovery treatment of dual diagnosis is paramount
- Veterans: How to prevent skin infections
- #RouteVA road trip: improving Veterans’ access to surgical care in Miami
- Tips for a successful job search with VA
Connect with VA:
- Facebook – Veterans of the Day, Top VA news & videos
- Twitter – Veteran news from around the country
- Subscribe – Never miss a VA update
- Instagram – Top Veteran pictures from around the country
- Subscribe – Borne the Battle podcast
VETERAN OF THE WEEK
This week we honor Army Veteran Karen “Rif” Riffel.
Karen served with the 733rd Transportation Company and participated in Operation Iraqi Freedom. After her service, Karen co-founded the nonprofit organization Veterans of America where she works as vice president. Veterans of America aims to raise national awareness of the issue of homelessness among Veterans.